We were woken by the engine starting on the boat at 6 this this morning. Setting off for Dubrovik which we reached at around 11. We left the boat to have a look around but there wasn't much to see in that port area. Lunch was included so we returned to the boat for lunch, pay our bill and collect the luggage. We were watching it getting darker and darker as we ate lunch then the heavens opened and it started to piss down just before we left. Great timing. We got the bus which was ok as the bus stop was right in front of the dock where our boat was moored however at the other end it was another matter. Believe it or not, Helen had left her umbrella in a cafe when we left the boat the first time!!! 2 hats, 1 umbrella and very nearly a present!! For someone who doesn't lose things she was doing well!! Fortunately I had my rain jacket so she had my slightly broken umbrella. I put my trusty poncho on my bag before we left!! There was no shelter when we got off. I watched the luggage while Helen went to investigate the direction to go. She found the way and we set off in the torrential rain, Helen saying 'Next time I an just getting a taxi' I am always keen for the challenge of public transport plus I'm too tight to pay cab fares!! We walked in the right direction then came to the steps!!! Holy fuck there were 155 steps ( I counted them later) with flat areas at every 5 steps. It was still pissing rain and I'm sure the suitcases were heavier than they weighed!! By the time we got to the top we were exhausted. Fortunately our host Branka was there and showed us the rest of the way. Only 1 long and I short flight up to the apartment!! We needed to do some washing (it was becoming desperate for clean undies) so we went to the laundromat and did our 'chores'. We had a tour of the old city booked at 5.30 (part of the cruise) so just good timing to get there. The guide was excellent and we learnt a lot about Dubrovnik. It was really interesting. It is an amazing city with this huge ringed wall and even a drawbridge. They have been invaded by various people including Napolean. There were originally about 5000 prople living in the old city but after the war in 1992 many people sold up and now there are only a handful living there. It is really touristy in the summer season and I think she said at one stage 140 000 tourists went through the old gates in one day. People just don't want to live there now. Lots of churches and palaces dating back to 7 AD when 2 groups combined to form he town. After the tour we took the cable car to the top of the hill for a spectacular night view of Dubrovnik. I was a little unsure but it was ok. We said our goodbyes to our fellow passengers and Helen and I stopped at a little cafe for a pizza. We looked at other peoples and ordered the giant one to share!! It was HUGE!!! We managed to eat 1/2 and brought he rest home. Both feel tired and want an early night. Tomorrow we explore Dubrovnik!!
Coming into Dubrovnik
As above
View from our apartment window
One entry to the old city
View across the water from our apartment side
Part of the old city












No comments:
Post a Comment